My first (finished) zipper project! I have started a couple of projects with zippers, but I usually start quaking with fear over the zipper and setting the project aside indefinitely. After making this pouch, I feel silly for avoiding them for all these months! I used the zippered pouch tutorial at Make it Perfect for the actual pouch construction, but I did my own thing for outside.
I used Colorful Turtles/Tortoise on Blue (How cute are those turtles?!) and Amy Butler Full Moon Polka Dot in Cherry for the outside and Hello Pilgrim Dusty Blue Stripe for the inside. I added a ribbon and monogram. I wanted to add charms on the zipper and found the cute turtles at Hobby Lobby. I also found crystal beads I liked and used a headpin to make them into a beaded charm. This 8"x 6"pouch now lives in my purse, being useful.
I kind of want to find a way to incorporate a zipper into everything now. ;)
I seriously underestimated the amount of time hand-stitching class would consume...and I signed up for Wild Olive's The Embroidery Project Re-sized too! I am about 2.5 projects behind on the first class and the second class started today. I'll have a lot of time to myself this week, so I hope I can catch up!
For the Handstitched Class Sashiko Coaster project. I used Essex Linen in Dyed Black, Hot Pink, Medium Aqua and Lime. I am obsessed with the dyed black right now. I think it has great texture. I am still having a terrible time with transfer paper, so I ended up taping the template on a window and tracing it onto the fabric with a disappearing marker. I decided not to use high contrast embroidery thread because my stitching is still wonky, but my favorite one ended up being the pink one with the most contrast! The Sashiko embroidery is really relaxing and I felt as if no time had passed when I finished the embroidery for each coaster. I would love to work this embroidery into a quilt someday!
I also did a few sewing room updates this past weekend. My rulers are now on the wall! This has been great, because they usually end up on the floor ready to be stepped on or lost under disorganized piles of fabric. There is still one missing ruler, hopefully I find it someday so I can fill that space! The Command Utensil Hooks ended up working the best for me. I originally found the generic Command hooks, which worked fine for the flexible rulers, but not so great for the thick plastic ones.
I spray painted the ironing board. I don't have a before picture, but it was an awful powder blue color. I spray painted it Grape and got a new ironing board cover. It is much more fun ironing on a board that doesn't have interfacing plastered all over it (OOPS!).
As for quilts, they are still in the sewing together phase! I will be taking a pictures when they reach a more photogenic stage!