The pattern I worked with was paper-pieced bell, designed by Kristy. It was really fun and quick to put together, since there are not many pieces. I decided to make it into a wall hanging/notepad holder.
|8.5" x 14.5"|
- The bell pattern is enlarged to an 8.5" block (unfinished).
- I added 8.5"x 3.5" rectangle of fabric to both the top and the bottom (if I had thought ahead, I would have gone ahead and added the extra fabric while I was constructing the block).
- I cut the top rectangle at a 45 degree angle on the left and right sides, from the seam of the additional top piece to the top of the project. I was echoing the shape of the bell and it makes it look like a gift tag.
- The pocket is made from a 8.5"x 6" rectangle folded in half to make an 8.5"x 3" rectangle. I topstitched the top of the folded pocket.
- I embroidered some small snowflakes around the bell.
- I used bias binding. I love the look it has with striped fabric! I used this tutorial from Trends and Traditions to help me bind those odd corners on the top.
- The grommet was added for hanging purposes. I found this grommet in the section with the home decor fabric at Hobby Lobby. It was really easy to install. You place the template from the package in the area where you want to install the grommet. Then, you draw the circle on the fabric and then cut it out. After the circle is cut, you put grommet piece #1 on the front of the cut circle and grommet piece # 2 on the back of the cut circle. Snap together, done!
- I sewed the hanging ribbon together and tied a bow around the seam.
ETA: I'll be hanging this on my front door with a Command hook. Right now we leave notes about "what not to forget" on the front hallway table. Unfortunately, they always get buried under a ton of junk! This will be way more visible!
Front: Love Birds Green Small Dots (background), Alegria Diamonds (bell), Rendezvous - Tonal Stripe - Red (bell ribbon) Juicy Blossoms Dot Yellow (bell accents), Red Cheery Dots by My Mind's Eye for Riley Blake Designs (pocket)
Binding: Riley Blake Colorful Christmas Blue Stripe
Back: Vintage Modern Candy Apple Red Dot
Fat Quarter Shop - Awesome Launch Day giveaways at Blossom Heart Quilts and Quiet Play - check back November 1st! 2 x $10 vouchers
Intrepid Thread - Joy by Kate Spain - full fat quarter bundle + panel
Fabric Worm - 2 x $25 vouchers
Sew Lux Fabric and Gifts - 1 x $25 voucher
Stash Modern Fabric- $30 gift voucher
Blossom Heart Quilts - Japanese Christmas fabric - fat eighth bundle
Quiet Play - Charm pack
Are you needing some Christmas fabric supplies for the hop? Well, Chrissy from Sew Lux Fabrics has set up a special discount code on Christmas fabrics in her shop! So if you need supplies, be sure to check it out. The code is "sewseasonal10" and is for 10% off all Christmas fabric (Joy, Blitzen, and Sentiments) through November 18th. A charm pack or layer cake will work perfectly for Ornamental! You can find more details at Quiet Play & Blossom Heart Quilts.
13th November: Gemma from Pretty Bobbins